When you buy a home, you’re in it for the long haul. You’ll have a mortgage payment for 15, 20 or 30 years, after all, so it’s smart to shop around to find the best mortgage lenders out there. Keep reading for tips on how to shop around.
How to look for a lender
Finding a mortgage lender involves more than just getting a good interest rate; you want to work with the best mortgage companies, staffed by professionals who will guide you through the process.
Below are five tips to help you hunt for the best mortgage lender. For details, click here.
1. Get your credit score in shape. The higher your credit score, the more bargaining power you’ll have.
2. Know the mortgage lending landscape. We’ve done some of the homework for you below.
3. Get preapproved for your mortgage. Boost your chances of having your offer accepted by getting preapproved.
4. Compare rates from several mortgage lenders. You can search for the best mortgage rates online.
5. Ask the right questions and read the fine print. Find out about requirements and fees, including costs beyond principal and interest payments.
NerdWallet has researched some of the best available major national mortgage lenders to help you quickly find the right lender for your needs.
Best Lenders in Massachusetts
Call me for personal contacts to get the best rates and service. 781-783-2963 Debi Hauer, Realtor.